Leviton Provolt Line Voltage Photocell, Ceiling Mount
Add Daylight Harvesting to Existing Light Switches
By combining a 1-10V dimming photocell with the power of a Leviton power pack, the Leviton Provolt™ Line Voltage Photocell (Ceiling Mount) is an all-in-one mini daylight harvesting system — no separate power pack needed. The photocell includes two removable light pipes for either open or closed loop applications. It's an elegant solution to maximize natural light indoors (with the bonus of energy savings), while automatically adjusting your dimmable lamps and light fixtures as daylight levels change, always maintaining your Desired Light Level (DDL) for the room.
- Complete open and closed loop daylight harvesting system
- Works with momentary or maintained switches to adjust dimmable lights
- Combines a dimming photocell with a Leviton power pack
- Ideal for daylight harvesting and lighting control in spaces with windows
- Includes two removable light pipes for open and closed loop applications
- Auto-calibration feature helps maximize daylight harvesting
- 1-10V sinking operation supports a dimmable LED driver or electronic ballast
- Meets CA Title 20/24 and ASHRAE 90.1 energy-efficiency requirements
How It Works: Auto-Dimming Your Connected Lights
Ideal for an indoor living space with windows, the photocell detects daylight and works with your existing light switch to adjust the connected lights (dim up/down, turn on/off) according to daylight levels.
The photocell controls a 1-10 VDC dimmable ballast or LED driver to achieve maximum energy savings while maintaining a minimum light level. The photocell will increase the light output until the Desired Light Level (DDL) is reached. As the light level changes, the photocell will reduce or increase the dim level in order to maintain the DDL. (There is an adjustable Fade Rate dial to make the light level transitions unnoticeable to room occupants.)
What happens when ...
- When no daylight is detected, the photocell turns up your light to operate at its full brightness level.
- When daylight increases in the room, the photocell dims the light.
- When lots of natural daylight is providing so much light that your electrical lights reach their minimum dim level (and if the Dim to Off setting is enabled), the photocell will switch off those lights. The lights will remain off until the light level drops below the DDL for 30 seconds. The lights will then be turned on, with the light source set at its minimum dim level.
Daylight Harvesting Applications
Daylight harvesting is an automated lighting control strategy that maximizes the use of natural daylight and minimizes the use of electrical (artificial) light in response to the availability of natural light in a space. The photocell uses three types of daylight harvesting applications:
- Closed loop: Photocell detects total photo-metric light from daylight or electric sources in the space.
- Open loop: Photocell detects daylight OR electric light only; requires manual calibration.
- Adjustable daylight design levels: Normal (OFF) and Auto-Calibration.
Auto-Calibrates for Accurate Time-of-Day Adjustments
Not only is it simple to install (see details below), the photocell features patented daylighting design level technology to auto-calibrate a room for more accurate daylight harvesting operation (in closed loop applications). The photocell maintains the architectural lighting design level through calculation and measurement of ambient (natural and artificial) lighting and fine dimming adjustment.
Manual calibration is also an option for even more precise fine tuning, as well as open loop applications.
Meets Energy Efficiency & Safety Standards
The photocell complies with growing energy regulations and includes a connection for emergency lighting and demand response to meet California Title 24 and ASHRAE Standard 90.1 2010.
Additional Photocell Features
- Lamp Burn-In Mode: When active, forces the load(s) ON, at full brightness, for seasoning fluorescent lights. Typically this is done for ~100 hours. Consult lamp manufacturer for specifics.
- Dim to OFF: If enabled, load(s) will be switched off when minimum dimming output is reached and light is not needed. If disabled, load(s) will remain on, at minimum dimming output, when light is not needed.
- Forced ON: User forces lights on for 2 hours through wall switch/station, auto-exit to daylighting state.
- Forced OFF: User forces light off through wall switch/station.
- External Input Select: Selects functionality of the external input: manual switch or demand response.
- Power-Up Restore: If enabled, the load(s) will be switched off upon power-up if the manual switch was previously used to turn the load(s) off (Forced-OFF). External Input Select must be set to manual switch for this setting to be functional.
- Test Mode: When enabled, the fade rate will be set to 30 seconds for 60 minutes.
- Demand Response: Accepts a low voltage contact closure input. When Demand Response is active, the maximum allowable dimming output is set to the value selected by the red Demand Response dial.
- Emergency Interface: Accepts a low voltage contact closure input. When the Emergency input is active, the load(s) will be forced ON, at full brightness. "Fail-safe" circuitry assures lights ON to meet life safety requirements (NFPA101).
- Manual Switch: Accepts a low voltage contact closure input for a toggle or momentary switch.
- Photocell Detection Range: 1-16,000 Lux.
- LED Enable/Disable: Flexibility for light sensitive requirements.
Designed for either new construction or retrofitting, the photocell mounts to the ceiling with the included mounting plate. It works in conjunction with a 1-10 VDC dimmable ballast (electronic or magnetic) or an LED driver via wiring. It also auto-detects a momentary or maintained wall switch/station for manual override control.
The photocell easily installs into a J-box with the included Leviton-exclusive screw guides, coasters, and terminal blocks. Faceplate ridges make it easy to identify pressure points for simple press and release installation. The photocell also includes a 4"x4" cosmetic adapter to enhance the final installation and alleviate potential contrast between the sensor and backbox.
- Provolt™ Line Voltage Photocell
- (2) Removable Light Pipes (flat or angled)
- Mounting Plate, 4" x 4"
- Screws, #6-32 x 1-1/2"
- Low-Voltage Connector
- Tubing Barrier
- Emergency Label
- Neutral wire is required to connect to an existing light switch.
- This 1-zone model (PCC1D-W) does not support dual zone operation.
Leviton is the smart choice, providing the most comprehensive range of solutions to meet the needs of today's residential, commercial and industrial buildings. Leveraging more than a century of experience, Leviton helps customers create sustainable, intelligent environments through its electrical wiring devices, network and data center connectivity solutions, and lighting energy management systems. From switches and receptacles, to daylight harvesting controls, networking systems, and equipment for charging electric vehicles, Leviton solutions help customers achieve savings in energy, time and cost, all while enhancing safety.
- Manufacturer Part #: PCC1D-W
- Model: Single 1-10V dimming with single relay ON/OFF for single zone day/night single office or corridor
- Input Voltage: 120V, 50/60 Hz; 240V, 50 Hz; 277V, 50/60 Hz
- Load Rating:
- 120V: 8A, Electronic Ballast, 800W/VA, Tungsten, Ballast, 1/4 HP Motor
- 240V: 6A/6AX Electronic Fluorescent or Magnetic Ballast, 1200W/VA, 1/3 HP Motor
- 277V: 5A, Electronic Ballast, 1200VA, 1/3 HP Motor
- Current Consumption: 60-30mA
- Light Detection Range: 1-1,600 FC (10-16,000 LUX)
- LED Loads: 400W/1-10V sinking
- Fade Rate: 30 Min
- Demand Response: 75 percent (MFG Range 1-1600FC)
- Operating Temperature: 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)
- Storage Temperature: -14° to 160°F (-26° to 71°C)
- Relative Humidity: 10 to 90 percent non-condensing
- Red or Blue: Solid during device failure
- Red: Blinking during manual calibration
- Solid during auto calibration
- Blinking during burn-in (dimming models only)
- Blue: Blinking when lights are off (daylight, wall station, demand response)
- Solid when device is in emergency mode
- Blinking in test mode
- Mounting Height: 8 to 20 feet (2.43 to 6.09 meters)
- CA Title 20/24 Compliant
- ASHRAE Standard 90.1 2010 Compliant
- UL 773A (Occupancy Standard)
- UL 924 (Emergency Equipment)
- cUL Listed
- NOM Certified
- RoHS Compliant
- NY LLC48 Compliant
- FCC compliant
- Warranty: 5-Year Limited