Elk Serial to Ethernet Converter
Connect Your M1 To An Ethernet Network
The ELK-IP232 is an Ethernet to RS-232 Serial Port Bridge. It may be used to connect any standard serial communications device such as a PC, an audio/video distribution system, or an Elk-M1 Control, to an Ethernet network. It allows bi-directional communication between the two. It operates as a network server, which means it does not initiate network connections, but rather accepts them. Once a network connection is accepted, the remote networked device or computer is virtually connected to the serial device on the other side of the Bridge. Both the network device and the serial device can send and receive messages to and from each other. Up to twelve network devices may be connected simultaneously. Data sent from any one of them is bridged to the serial port. Data received on the serial side is transmitted to all connected network devices.
It is powered by an ELKP1216 12 Volts DC, 1.5 Amp plug-in power supply/adapter (included). A software setup utility for configuring the serial and network setup options can be installed from the included CD ROM or may be downloaded from www.elkproducts.com. The ELK-IP232 is factory defaulted to obtain a dynamic IP address from a DHCP server (i.e. Ethernet switch, cable modem, etc.), however it may also be setup with a static IP address.
- Allows up to twelve (12) simultaneous TCP-IP network connections
- Selectable baud rate from 300 to 115200 baud
- Supports software handshaking (XON/XOFF) and hardware handshaking (RTS/CTS)
- Multiple Bridges can be used on the same network
- Can be updated in the field with new firmware using the Configuration Utility
- Integrated 802.3 compliant 10/100 Mbit network interface
- Uses RS232, DB9 9-pin serial port connection
- DB9F to DB9M serial ribbon cable included
- Connects to the M1 RS-232 Serial port (Port 0).
- RJ45 8-pin Network Jack
- 2.1mm barrel type power connector (center positive)
- LED Indicators for Power, Link and Data
The ELK-IP232 is not replacing the ELK-M1XEP. Unlike the ELK-M1XEP the ELK-IP232 does not offer a built-in web server and cannot send email or alarm reporting.
- ELK-IP232 Serial to Ethernet Converter
- 1.6Amp 12Vdc Power supply with 2.1mm plug
- Elk Serial Ribbon Cable (W040A)
Note: The ELK-IP232 Bridge does not support encryption nor secure network connections. If remote (Internet) connections are allowed to it, whatever serial device is connected will be vulnerable. It is recommended that the Bridge be used within a local network only, behind a router and/or firewall.
Premium Products For Security & Automation
The M1 Gold and the new M1EZ8 offer a rock solid security foundation with the most imaginative automation functionality available. Key features common to both systems include the versatile keypad, flash memory firmware, fast PC programming, and ease of installation. Both systems offer the flexibility to integrate with industry standard systems and components for easy upgrades and system expansion.
- Manufacturer Part #: ELK-IP232
- Operating Voltage: 12 Volts D.C. from ELK-P1216 Plug-in Power Supply **
- Current Draw: approx. 135 mA
- Dimensions: 3.85. L x 1.7. W x 0.93. D
** Any required network equipment, i.e. Ethernet switch, router, cable modem, etc. including the plug-in power supply for the ELK-IP232, MUST be backed up with an adequately sized UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) in order for the equipment to continue operating during brief power outages.