Simply Automated US1-40 UPB Single-Rocker Dimmer Switch Control Base
Includes Built-In Timer Feature
Simply Automated's SimplyBrilliant UPB Dimming Transceiver Switch Base with timer feature (Model US1-40) provides ultra-reliable control and timed off control of new and existing lighting fixtures, lamps, fans and other electrical devices. Each unit has one switch that controls a load of 1W minimum to 900W maximum, including LED fixtures. It can also transmit and receive lighting scene commands and status with other Universal Powerline Bus (UPB) switches, plug-in modules, fixture modules as well as any PC, security, home, automation controller that provides a UPB serial driver option – to control virtually anything that connects to AC power anywhere in the home.
Note: The UPB Dimming Transceiver Switch Base requires a single rocker faceplate (ZS11 Series, sold separately) available in white, almond, ivory black or brown. The faceplates are easily changed in the home.
- No new wires:
- Communicates over existing power lines
- Transmits and receives UPB lighting scenes
- UPB technology delivers...:
- Exceptional reliability and noise immunity
- Lowest installed cost compared to hardwired and RF solutions
- No interference between adjacent homes
- Easily configured or reconfigured with UPStart (PC) software: Makes changing lighting scenes and control quick and easy
- Timer Function:
- Automatically turns off load
- 15 presets, locally or scene-link controlled
- True rocker action:
- Both ON/OFF dimming and timer capabilities
- 200 dimming steps and Resume Dim
- Adjustable (faster) response time and fade rate
- Manual scene-link changes with rocker/buttons:
- Add or delete devices from scene with 7 or 8 tap
- Adjust linked devices' light levels and save with 7 tap
- Interchangeable rocker assemblies (required, sold separately):
- Change color in the field
- Higher flexibility for homeowners; lower inventory costs for installers
- Thinner depth profile allows easy installation:
- Patented contoured heat sink:
- Delivers cooler operation
- Dedicated Remote Switch (Model USR) connection: Provides inexpensive 3 or more-way control option
Timer Feature: The timer automatically turns off the switch load after a pre-set period of 1, 5 or 30 seconds, 1, 2, 4, 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 minutes, 1, 2, 3, or 4 hours. The timer can be disabled so the US1-40 functions as a standard single rocker switch (no timer function) or enabled to activate with a rocker push (e.g. single push turns on with timer, double push turns on without timer, or vice versa). A UPB switch, such as the model US2-40 Universal Dimming Transceiver, can also command any of the timer functions of the US1-40, via a lighting scene-link commands, to enable any selection of timed off options (e.g. buttons for 1 minute, 4 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 hour).
Manual Scene-Link Modification: These capabilities are unique to Simply Automated devices. You can easily change existing scenes, adding or removing devices and adjusting light levels by pressing rocker/buttons in a specific sequence without using UPStart. See User Guide for details.
UPB Switches & In-Wall Controllers From Simply Automated
Simply Automated, Inc (SAI) provides an ultra-reliable powerline-based control technology that is as easy to install as it is to use. Universal Powerline Bus (UPB) technology significantly improves the reliability of control applications in the home. Through diligent testing, field trials, and residential installations, UPB has been proven to be greater than 99.9% reliable, so you can install it and forget about it!
- Power: 120VAC ± 10%, 60Hz
- Compatible Loads: 1 Watt minimum, 900W (7.5 Amp) maximum at 120VAC. Configurable for dimming (default) or On/Off dimming disabled. Allows use with incandescent, Halogen, fluorescent, LED, low voltage lighting transformers, ballasts and motors-pump/fan. Dims any standard dimmable fixture.
- Connections: 6"stranded pigtails, #16 AWG for power/load, #20 AWG for multi-way traveler(s)
- Black: AC Line
- White: AC Neutral
- Brown: Load (to fixture)
- White/Brown: Traveler 1
- Operating Temperature: 30 to 120° F (0 to 50° C)
- Dimensions: 4.2(H) x 1.7(W) x 1.6(D) inches (107 x 43 x 41mm) depth inside J-box = 1.33 inches
- Weight: 3.8 ounces (108g)
- Mounting: Standard J-box
The US1-40 single rocker dimming controller is used wherever multi-rocker or multi-button dimmers will never be required. The adjustable response time feature allows these switches to turn on quickly. The light level status can be automatically transmitted whenever the rocker is pushed. The unit can be used as a "virtual" three, or more, way switch where the load wire is capped (not used) and the unit commands other load controlling dimmers (US1 or US2) via a lighting scene link. A traveler wire connection provides 3 or more way switch functionality when connected to a remote switch, model USR only. Bathroom fan control is the most common timer application. The single rocker can be configured to turn a fan/light on with timed-off at single push, and a double push turns on the fan/light without timed off feature, or visa versa. Both single and double push functions can utilize the timer option or not. It may be desirable to use a scene link to control the unit’s timed off feature, an adjacent (or remote) multi-button switch such as the US2-40 with a ZS25O faceplate can do this easily. The US2’s switch rocker could control a light while the buttons send scene-link commands for timed-off to the adjacent US1-40 controlling the fan. Labels (models ZLK-01) can be used on the US2 to help users utilize control of the timed off function (e.g. buttons labeled for different off times; 4 min., 10 min., 1 hr.). The timer can be used in many other ways. Examples include the control of heat lamps, outdoor exit lighting or for relays / inputs that require momentary AC control signals (e.g. garage door button input). The US1-40 is an excellent energy saving solution for areas where lights are frequently left on (e.g. bath/laundry rooms, closets, garages, etc.).
UPStart UPB Software
This Windows-based application, along with a UPB Powerline Interface Module (PIM), allows you to program, configure and test your UPB smart home automation system. »Free download here