Simply Automated UCQT-40A-W UPB Scene Controller, 4 Oval Buttons
Includes Controller Base & Four-Button Faceplate
Simply Automated's SimplyBrilliant UPB Scene Controller (Model UCQT-40A-W) includes a UCQT-40A Scene Controller Base and a ZS24OS four-button oval faceplate – a very popular combination for lighting automation!
UPB Scene Contoller transmits and receives UPB lighting scene links, and is used as a UPB lighting scene controller. It provides ultra-reliable control of any UPB dimmer or relay devices. The Scene Controller also listens for and receives lighting scenes, allowing the status LEDs to track and indicate the state of scenes or individual UPB device loads. Extremely flexible with 8 LED status receive presets, the 4 LEDs can be set to show which lights are on or off; inside or outside the home. It can also transmit and receive lighting scene commands and status with other Universal Powerline Bus (UPB) controllers including any PC, security, home, automation systems that provide a UPB serial driver option – to control virtually anything that connects to AC power anywhere in the home.
Available Colors: The UPB Scene Controller Base includes a white 4 oval button faceplate (ZS24OS Series). The faceplates are easily changed in the home and come in White, Light Almond, Almond, Ivory, Brown or Black (sold separately).
Note: Wallplate not included.
- No new wires:
- Multi-packet communication over existing power lines
- Transmits and receives UPB lighting scenes
- 2 to 250 UPB devices per network, and 250 scenes
- UPB technology delivers...:
- Exceptional reliability and noise immunity
- Lowest installed cost compared to hardwired and RF solutions
- No interference between adjacent homes
- Easily configured or reconfigured with UPStart (PC) software:
- Makes changing lighting scenes and control quick and easy
- Includes UPStart Wizard for first time users
- Four green LEDs provide scene link status indication:
- Indicates when lighting scenes are on or off
- Can track and indicate load status, as well as scenes
- Eight scene link presets control LED functions
- LED functions: On, Off, Opposite, or No Change
- Four Buttons for lighting scene control:
- Turn On, Off, or Dim scenes or other UPB devices
- Choose button mode: On, Off, Toggle, Multi-button, etc.
- Control any UPB dimmers or relays in the home
- SimplySmart manual scene link changes:
- Add or delete devices from scene with 7 or 8 button taps
- Adjust linked devices' light level and save with 7 tap
- Interchangeable faceplate assemblies:
- Change color in the field
- Choose Oval or Thin-Bar buttons
- Custom label buttons and LEDs with ZLK-01S label kit
- Thinner depth profile allows easy installation:
SimplySmart: These manual scene link modification capabilities are unique to Simply Automated devices. A user can easily change existing scenes, adding or removing devices and adjusting light levels, by pressing buttons/rockers in a specific sequence without using UPStart. See User Guide for details.
UPB Switches & In-Wall Controllers From Simply Automated
Simply Automated, Inc (SAI) provides an ultra-reliable powerline-based control technology that is as easy to install as it is to use. Universal Powerline Bus (UPB) technology significantly improves the reliability of control applications in the home. Through diligent testing, field trials, and residential installations, UPB has been proven to be greater than 99.9% reliable, so you can install it and forget about it!
- Manufacturer Part #: UCQT-40A-W
- Color: White
- Power: 120VAC ± 10%, 60Hz
- Max Load: Not applicable. It has no local light-circuit output (see model US2-40 for up to 900W local load control, or model US22-40 for dual dimmer outputs, 2x550W max.).
- Connections: 2, 6" stranded pigtails, #16 AWG for power/neutral
- Operating Temperature: 30-120° F (0-50° C)
- Dimensions: 4.2"H x 1.7"W x 1.0"D (107 x 43 x 41mm)
- Weight: 3.8 oz (108g)
- Mounting: Standard J-box (The Scene Controllers also fits nicely in the Tabletop Pedestal accessory (model ZTP2, white or black). It is great for bedside lighting control and status of outdoor lights.)
- Black: AC Line
- White: AC Neutral
- Warranty: 2 Year
The UCQT-40A Scene Controller is used when there is a need to show that lighting scenes or loads are active or not. It is most useful when the lights being controlled are not clearly visible from the location of the scene controller. Examples of this include outdoor lighting, multi-story or large homes. The most common locations for scene controllers include the master bedroom or entry/exits. From the master bedroom the scene controller could provide control and status of exterior security lighting or to see if there maybe lights on in other areas of the home (e.g. down stairs). Entry and exit locations are good to control ‘welcome home’ or ‘away’ scenes, outdoor garden or holiday lighting, as well as outhouse type lighting (e.g. detached garage, pool house, dock, etc.).
Scene controllers are also used as UPB transmitters, since they do not have an output circuit to control a local load. They can be used in retrofit applications, remodels or new home construction. In new construction UPB dimmers or relay modules are used to control power to the load circuits, and the UCQT controls those UPB devices. For new home construction the Electrician’s wiring design ensures proper wiring for scene controllers and circuit-load controllers.
Retrofitting scene controllers require the help of UPB dimmer or relay module since every switch position in a home usually controls a local circuit load. The most common way to use scene controllers in retrofit applications is in combination with the UPB Dual Dimmer (model US22-40). The Dual Dimmer makes retrofitting scene controllers quite easy. If there is a dual junction box (j-box) with two switches controlling two loads, the dual dimmer can replace the two load switches using half the dual j- box, and the scene controller will fit in the other half of the j-box. No difficult re-wiring is required, while scene control and lighting status is gained. Retrofit of a UCQT in a single-gang j-box is possible with the with the help of a UPB fixture dimmer (model UFD) or relay module (model UFR). Fixture modules are designed to fit in a hidden junction box or wired in behind a light fixture. The scene controller can be wired-in to replace an existing load controlling switch, where the load switch leg is connect to (always) hot at the scene controller j-box. And, the other end of the switch leg powers the fixture module at the load/fixture j-box, which is connected to and controls power to the load. The scene controller is then used to control the fixture module along with any other scenes, UPB dimmer or relay switches. Another common retrofit application for the scene controllers is using the Tabletop Pedestal (model USQT) housing. The tabletop pedestal is designed to fit the scene controller well, and is portable; so it can be plugged-in and rest on a nightstand, desk, work-bench or used anywhere an outlet is available.
UPStart UPB Software
This Windows-based application, along with a UPB Powerline Interface Module (PIM), allows you to program, configure and test your UPB smart home automation system. »Free download here