A Required Module To Program Your UPB Automation System
Simply Automated’s Computer Interface Modules (UMC series) are plug-in devices designed to convert computer signals into highly-reliable, Universal Powerline Bus (UPB) signals. They provide a bridge between the PC/controller to the powerline via the module’s plug-in AC connection. This enables computer-based configuration and control of lighting scenes, switches, modules and other UPB devices, over the powerline.
UPB devices such as switches, multi-button controllers and schedulers are easily integrated in to a new home or can replace switches and timers in an existing home. UPB technology requires no new or special wiring, it provides a flexible, low-costs alternative to hardwired or RF home lighting and automation strategies.
- The UMC-USB model is ideal for an installer configuring any UPB devices with a laptop personal computer using UPStart software, since it plugs in to the popular USB port. However, it is not recommended for connection of home automation controllers.
- The UMC-DB9 model is ideal for controller applications, since it uses the highly reliable RS-232C serial interface – common to most desktop PCs, home automation controllers and alarm panels. The UMC-DB9 can also be used to configure any UPB device.
Installation of either UMC model is simple. The module is plugged into a standard 120VAC outlet. The serial or USB port of the computer or controller is connected to the module using the standard cable provided. With the appropriate software, such as UPStart, the computer or controller can then be used to configure and control UPB devices in the home.
Simple plug-in installation
No new wires
- Transmits and receives UPB lighting scenes and configuration commands over existing AC power lines
- Controlled by any computer, alarm panel or home automation controller with a serial or USB port and UPB software driver
UPB technology delivers...
- Exceptional reliability and noise immunity
- Lowest installed cost compared to hardwired and RF solutions
- No interference between adjacent homes
Easily configure or reconfigure UPB devices with UPStart (PC) software
- Makes changing lighting scenes quick and easy
Serial RS-232C Communication model: UMC-DB9-W
- Standard DB9 (female) connector and 6’ cable
- For device and scene configuration
- For home automation controller applications
- 3-conductor power connection includes safety ground
- Always-on convenience outlet
USB Communication model: UMC-USB-W
- Standard USB connector and 6’ cable
- For device and scene configuration only
- Not for home automation controller applications
UPB Switches & In-Wall Controllers From Simply Automated
Simply Automated, Inc (SAI) provides an ultra-reliable powerline-based control technology that is as easy to install as it is to use. Universal Powerline Bus (UPB) technology significantly improves the reliability of control applications in the home. Through diligent testing, field trials, and residential installations, UPB has been proven to be greater than 99.9% reliable, so you can install it and forget about it!
Simply Automated UMC UPB Computer Interface Module Data Sheet (.pdf)
Simply Automated UMC UPB Computer Interface Module Installation Manual (.pdf)
- Power: 120VAC ±10%, 60 Hz
- Always On Outlet:
- Max Load: 15A Max.
- Input Current: 83mA
- Operating Temp: 30-120°F (0-50°C)
- Computer Interface:
- UMC-DB0-W: Serial RS-232
- UMC-USB-W: USB
- UMC-DB9-W: 3.4 x 2.6 x 1.5" (86 x 65 x 38mm)
- UMC-USB-W: 2.8 x 2.3 x 1.25" (71 x 59 x 30mm)
- Weight: 8.8oz (250g)
- Mounting: Plug-in
The potential applications for the UMC series and UPB devices seem endless – and are “only limited by one’s imagination.” You can create custom scenes (connecting up to 250 switches) in your living, family or great room, kitchen, study, master bedroom/bathroom, office, patio or garage. Turn on all lights in your home at the touch of a button. Automatically turn on/off/dim outdoor garden or security lights, heating and AC, or provide night light convenience anywhere in your home. Timer functions enable bathroom fan, heat lamp, exit lighting or energy savings applications.
From simply adding a multi-button switch and lamp module that provides more/multiple lights/controls in a room, or creating a virtual 3-way switch anywhere in your home, to turning on a group of lights when your garage door is opened, entertainment system is powered on, or doorbell or phone rings (I/O module, model UMI), Simply Automated offers a vast array of simple and flexible solutions.
Residential security is enhanced by turning on one, two or a group of lights when there is an access/break-in alarm, fire alarm or panic button push. Door contacts and motion sensors can turn lights on automatically for convenience and safety (stairway/hallway).
Energy savings is realized by automatically turning off/on lights and turning back the thermostat when arming/disarming the security system. Switches can now be pre-set for dimming levels to save energy and prolong bulb life. Compatible with a long list of home automation controllers, alarm systems and PC based software packages.
UpStart UPB Software Downloads and Drivers
UpStart Quick Start Guide
Download UpStart Software for Windows
Download Crestron UPB Driver Module